Announcements‎ > ‎

Walnut boys stay unbeaten vs Lakota East

posted Sep 2, 2012, 9:08 AM by Eric Rothwell   [ updated Sep 2, 2012, 9:10 AM ]
Last night, the Eagles tied the Lakota East Thunderhawks 1-1 in a game that was called at half time due to lightning.  The game was mostly played in a crowded midfield and because of the tight space both teams struggled to get the ball down and move it well.  Lakota East struck first early in the game when Walnut appeared to be napping on defense.  The goal woke the Eagles up though and they then started have the majority of chances in the first half.  Right before the end of half time, Andrew Moore got down the flank and crossed the ball to Moses Gebreskemel (seen to the left) who's first time shot was deflected by a Thunderhawk's defender's hand.  Gebreskemel then sent the keeper the wrong way on the spot kick  to equal the score.  Momentum had seemed to swing in the Eagles favor but Mother Nature had other ideas.  The game was called official and will go down as the Eagles first draw of the season, who are now currently 3-0-1.    

The JV team rallied back in the second half of their game to win 3-1.   Brady Leanza drew the Eagles level with a header from Alex Beck's Cross.   In the second half, Beck would add another assist as he put Johnny Wiers through on goal who calmly slotted in the ball off the woodwork and in.  Walnut then went on to dominate and right before time, Brandon Pitz place his Pk into the corner.

This week will provide a tough test for both teams as they will have 4 games in 7 days.  Tuesday, they play at Colerain and Thursday at La Salle.   On Saturday, the Eagles return home from their 4th straight away game to play Fairfield at 7pm.  For the Fairfield game, the soccer program is having Pack the House Night, where all grade school kids get in free, there will be promotional giveaways, and half time game of Walnut's Jr. High vs the CUSE Galaxy.  Come out and support the Eagles!  
Eric Rothwell,
Sep 2, 2012, 9:10 AM